Re: [TowerTalk] MA-550 cables maintenance

To: towertalk@contesting.com, cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MA-550 cables maintenance
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 13:22:48 -0500 (EST)
>  I got a used MA-550 tower, first owner bought it in  2007.
the cables to rise up and down and to lay it are very dry and a bit  oxidize
in some places, also the pulleys.

>  May I put a mechanical oil or fat on it or is not  necessary?

        No - do not use either of  those. What you want is a thin kind of
lubricant so that it wicks into the  strands. If you use anything else,
either the coating attracts contaminants or  traps water inside the strands -
both of which are bad for the cables.

        Champion Radio Products  carries the PreLube which is recommended
by wire rope manufacturers.  championradio.com

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and