Re: [TowerTalk] MA-550 cables maintenance

To: towertalk@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MA-550 cables maintenance
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 00:46:46 -0700
Left over from my dirt bike riding days, are several cans of different types of "chain lube", that I had experimented with and used . Some spray on as thin as WD-40, others are thick and foamy and seem to have almost a wax base, These different varieties are available at any Motorcycle or Accessory shop

The heavier, foamer, stuff I spray on the drive chains (5 M dish), and the lighter on steel cables . Probably a good idea to spray the foam type wax base lubricant, on the main winch raising cable, after the thin lubricant has had a chance to penetrate. Precipitation will gradually wash the stuff off, so periodic re-lubrication will be required. For you later generation guys, mechanical maintenance, in spite of what our auto dealers try to sell us, is not a thing of he past, HI.

Also there is spray on "belt dressing" available, to treat the belt drive, in the raising system, for my Sky Needle tower.

Chuck,  W7CS