[TowerTalk] HF Winch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF Winch
From: Les Listwa <llistwa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 12:57:15 -0500
Hi,

Just want to share my experience with a " cheap"  2500lb Electric Winch.
Tried to use one ( actually even tried a second one)  to lift a Hazer type
device up 40 feet of 45G.  My load was about 300 lbs total.  What I found,
is that before I had a chance to even try to lock the Hazer device in
place, the winch would begin to creep down, once I took my finger off the
up button.  A winch is not designed to lift.

 Also, 2500lb of torque  is a powerful beast and I learned that if
something goes wrong,  in a split second that 2500lbs of torque can rip
apart cables and aluminum, before you even realize there is a problem,
because there is no feedback. I learned that the hard way.

Based on the advice of  John, W2GD, Antenna and Tower Installer
extraordinaire, I switched to a Fulton K1550 manual winch and had a local
welder make  a custom mount for the tower. I have complete control and can
stop it on a dime.  My recommend is to go with a Fulton Manual Winch.

By the way, to power my electric winch, I used a Sear car 12V battery
boosters (500 peak amps/400 cranking amp) , just left it trickle charging
until I wanted to raise or lower the antenna.

73
Les
W2LPL