Re: [TowerTalk] HF winch

To: "Mike Reublin NF4L" <nf4l@comcast.net>, "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF winch
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 22:21:58 -0600
I use a 120 vac winch to raise lower a crank-up. It is Harbor Freight 120vac winch with a max pull of 1500 lbs. It is the smallest ac winch they had. I think you would be disappointed with a "jump pak". I have two of them and think there is just not enough amp hours in one to do the job. A HD diesel truck starting battery (my Dodge has two each 100 AH+ batts in parallel) will give you a hundred amp hours or more at the 20 hour rate, i.e. 5 amps but you want maybe 30-40 amps or more and you won't get it for long with a 100 AH battery before you cause damage to the expensive battery. The more amps you take out of a battery the less AH you get. It is non-linear, you pay an accelerated premium for taking heavy current.

A small 120vac winch or a good hand winch are workable alternatives if the HD battery charger with the starting position (50 amps or better) doesn't appeal.

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Reublin NF4L