Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:33:32 -0800
FWIW, I bought my HDX-5106 tower from W6BH (SK) and it
came with a 24 foot mast with a rotating guy ring just
below the top of the mast.  There was a 6 element
20 meter monobander at the top of the mast at about
125 feet above ground.  I guess this must have worked
because the tower was in a windy area on top of a mountain.
So what W6BH had was a self supporting crank up tower
but with guying at the top of the mast (which was
HALF INCH wall!).  It also came with an old Orion 2300
rotator.  It is surprising that the high winds didn't
break the rotor, but then they are famous for slipping,
so maybe that saved it.

When I installed the tower at my QTH, I put in a short
mast and mounted my MonstIR 3 feet above the tower on
a reasonable mast turned by a K7NV prop pitch.  Way more
conservative.

Rick N6RK