[TowerTalk] Fwd: Guying mast above rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Guying mast above rotor
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:34:20 -0500 (EST)
Hi Matt,

Your idea is possible to implement but with what you have to do you might just
select to allow a severe storm bend that top mast.

The guy wire has to have the correct spring coefficient. As the wind is loading
the rest of your (and everybody else) tower the guy wires flex and the top of
the tower will move. With the correct guy wire at the top mast it is important
that the load on the top part flex that guy wire the same, or you will end up
with a damaged top section, bent one way or another depending the top guys
being to strong or too weak.

I suggest you, if you decide to add these guy wires, you install them
permanently. There is no reason to have wires that get attached when the Big is
coming. You could use a rotating collar. I don't know where you get them but I
have seen them and know they are available somewhere.

Good luck with your project and best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS