Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Cable Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Cable Question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 00:49:49 -0500
On 2/25/2014 10:15 PM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
I had a chance to pick up some of the old style Philly without ends.   This
stuff needs to have "potted" ends.  Plan on spending at least $35 for  each
"empty" end and at least $70 for the resin potting compound.  You will
find the cost is prohibitive unless you are pouring a dozen or so ends, since
the potting mix has to mixed all at once.

With out ends? All the Phillystran I have which is all the guys, use only a plastic cap, RTVd in place. 14 years and no problems. For the smaller stuff (less than 1/4" use the cable clamps with the "U" bolt on the dead side. Do not over tighten. Typical is 4 cable clamps and 1 end cap Because it's the jacket that compresses, not much strength is lost compared to cable clamps on wire. For anything other than small loads, I'd use 1/4" and larger with big grips and cap the ends by RTVing the caps. Don't forget to use the proper size thimble and guy brackets. Don't just wrap it around a tower leg. The guy bracket removes the side stress from the tower legs.

I've not seen any, including the older phillystran that couldn't be used with big grips and capping the ends. Big grips should be installed with the Phillystran under working tension. IE 1/4" at 440# and 5/16ths at 600#

Kevlar does not stand up well to moisture, so if the cable is old and the ends were not capped, I'd cut at least several feet off each end. Hopefully it hasn't been stored outside and uncapped. In that case you might need to cut back quite a bit and I don't know how to tell. The Kevlar core is made up of many very fine strands. If they are still flexible and strong, I'd think they are good.

On the 45G the bottom two tier I use HTPG40001 ant the top tier is HTPG67001. Texas towers has end caps for all sizes and I'd assume Davis does as well.

73

Roger (K8RI)

The factory can give you the details. Bill K4XS/KH7XS In a message dated 2/26/2014 2:38:46 A.M. Coordinated Universal Time,