Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft A-3 WS with 30 meter kit-PROBLEM (update)

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft A-3 WS with 30 meter kit-PROBLEM (update)
From: Michael Murphy <mike@ki8r.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 18:14:23 -0400
Bill,

It almost sounds like you have a trap issue.  I have one of the Cushcraft
D3W WARC dipoles for 12/17/30 which originally had a bad trap and was out
on all bands.  Cushcraft admitted that they had a bad run of traps and
replaced all of them.  This was several years ago.

Just a thought.

Good luck with the antenna.

Mike - KI8R

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 6:02 PM, <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com> wrote:

> Since the post, I took off the 30 meter add-on kit.  SWR is  exactly what
> it should be when the antenna is set up for just 12/17.  Any  suggestions?
> Test equipment here is an MFJ259 and  multimeter.
>

> I recently purchased an almost new A-3WS and a brand new 30  meter  adapter
> kit form a ham in FL.
>
> I've have two A-3WS 12/17  duobanders already in a stack and am  planning
> making this a three  high stack for 12/17.
>
> Problem:
>
> Assembled as per instructions,  double checked measurements,  orientation
> of
> the traps etc.  I  hauled the antenna up a tower to test  it....around
> 15-20
> ft.   At this height, it might resonate a little low on  30 but be pretty
> much on the money for 12 and 17.
>
> I get a very nice valley of SWR  for three bands, but not where they
> should
> be.
> 30 mtrs is  resonant at 9.8 mHz
> 17 mtrs is resonant at 19.67 mHz
> 12 mtrs is resonant  at 23.2 mHz
>
> SWR at resonance for all three bands is around 1.2 and if  one did  not
> look
> at the freq on the MFJ, one would assume all is  good...nice normal  dips.
> What is really weird, is that two of  bands are too low and one is  way too
> high.
>
> I realize the SWR  to be skewed slightly low at this height, but  these
> readings are  strange.
>
> I have lots of experience putting together A-3 and a-3WS  antennas,  but
> have not used the 30 mtr kit.
>
> No overall  length of the driven element  with the 30 meter kit  added is
> given.  Anyone have that?  Other than that I am really   puzzled by this.
> Any
> suggestions?
>
> Bill   K4XS

Michael Murphy - KI8R