Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?

To: tomkd8deg <kd8deg@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 19:08:04 -0500
I'm not sure that's true about the wind. I have a Davis Vantage Vue. The remote
unit does some processing to generate a 2 s mean speed and a peak gust value
within the 2 s window. Data are then sent in packets every 2 s to the base
unit.

Mine is up 10 m (a WMO standard height). During calm winters nights it will
measure an anomalously high minimum temperature. The anemometer is shielded a
bit by the tower structure when it's downwind of the tower and so the wind
speed is biased low. Direction appears unaffected.

The rain gauge is a tipping spoon with a 3" diameter catchment. It under
samples only at high rain rates. The temperature sensor and dew cell are not
aspirated in this unit and so temperature is biased a bit high due to radiation
errors on calm, clear Summer days.

I highly recommend any of the Davis units, but the Peet Bros. Ultimeter 2100 is
also a very fine unit. Both are comparable in price (~$400).

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith