Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Crank-up base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Crank-up base
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 08:54:49 -0400
Like NF4L, I'll be installing a pair of self-supporting Pirod towers north of Jacksonville. Tower #1 is 140 ft and will support a full-size 4 el M2 40m Yagi. Tower #2 is 100 ft and will support a Tennadyne 30m-10m log on a 42 ft. boom. Tower #1 concrete base is 9 ft x 9ft x 6 ft deep. Tower #2 is 7ft x 7 ft x 6 ft deep. The land has a high water table.

In general, and assuming soil content is otherwise normal (normal as to what the tower manufacture claims as normal for these specs), does the high water table mean that even more concrete is needed beyond the standard spoil spec? I know a soil core sample will be needed for an accurate answer but I'm trying to gauge concrete costs for budgeting purposes. I'm already looking at $4K just in 3000 psi concrete for the job.

Paul, W9AC

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Amos