Re: [TowerTalk] "Antenna Tuner"

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Antenna Tuner"
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 12:55:53 -0500
I recently bought a Little Tarheel "screwdriver" antenna and attached it to the custom front bumper of my one ton dually Dodge via an unused tab there for off road driving lights I did not install. The bumper and monolithic brush gards etc weigh, including the 12,000 lb Warn winch, 500 lbs. The installation method has the base of the antenna attached to the hole in the light mounting tab and provides a SO-239 style socket to accept a cable with a PL-259 male connector. More easily weatherproofed than other approaches commonly employed.

I connected my Comet antenna analyzer to the end of the coax in the cab, set it for 14.3320 MHz, and ran the manual control while watching the meter. Near the VSWR minimum the VSWR reading changed quickly making it a bit of a challenge to stop at the minimum but with a little practice and perseverance it wasn't too hard. At or very close to the VSWR minimum the impedance was 52 ohms and the VSWR was less than 1.1:1

So what does this mean? Did I tune the antenna, flatten the coax, match the impedance, adjust something, calibrate something else, or just observe a totally random event whose "nice" readings were coincidental, a lucky accident meaning nothing?

I did purchase an automatic antenna tuner called a Turbo Tuner 2. It has no switchable inductors or capacitors. It just drives the coil in the base of the antenna past the VSWR null noting the time it takes to go to the same VSWR on one side of the null to a similar value on the other side and backs up one half that. Pretty simple. Makes some simplifying assumptions which are easy targets for the cognoscenti hereabouts if they can tear themselves away from the hot debate re angles dancing on a head of a pin. It isn't just me, there are hoards of other deluded users who thing this system works well. What remains for me to note is how well it works. Have I created a dummy load with an attached stainless steel whip?

I have a longer whip, as of yet not tried, that is too tall to use mobile but should do well parked. Yeah, yeah, I know, no tower involved but does dovetail with the current chatter re antenna couplers, those antenna to rig devices known by many names.

Patrick NJ5G

 Patrick Greenlee wrote:
Hey, Dude! Don't forget Swan and Atlas... Herb wasn't exactly a bozo nor surrounded by bozos.