Re: [TowerTalk] "Antenna Tuner"

To: "Marsh Stewart" <marsh@ka5m.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Antenna Tuner"
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 10:20:28 -0400
Seems to me that since an antenna is considered inductive or capacitive, when it is physically away from a resonant frequency length, then adding inductance or capacitance at the base, middle or top assists in resonating the antenna such that XL=XC. I have not found anywhere that says antenna resonance must be void of any assistance. For example, a 60 ft vertical with base inductance or with top capacitive hat loading is resonant, therefore it is tuned at a certain frequency. So, it then is tuned. The tuner in this case may be base tuning using a remote tuner, or tuned using the appropriate reactance midway or topside.

You could call it matching, or impedance matching, or impedance transformation or tuning. Seems any of these descriptions can be used. Just depends on how many words that you want to utter.

Otherwise, what am I missing here?

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf

K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com