[TowerTalk] SS galling revisited

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SS galling revisited
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 18:33:02 -0700
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 09:09:30 -0500
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com

Had a chat with my mechanical engineering consultant (MS Mech Eng UCLA
and 35+ years of hands on experience.)  I mentioned how SS galling was a
topic of interest to hams especially regarding towers. He gave me this
tidbit of advice.  Do  N O T  use moly-disulfide based lubricants
anywhere near salt or brackish water. This would be an issue for for
coastal or near coastal hams.  What happens is that the chemistry of the
lubricant in the presence of salt will LOCK the threads.  For this
reason the Navy does not use Never-seez on subs (my friends specialty
was a deep diving research sub, The Dolphin - 555), only the copper
based anti-seize products.

Patrick NJ5G

##  My local store sells the copper version....and I have also used loctite
“never seize”.... that looks silvery.

For just a few bucks more.... you can also get  marine grade never seize.   The
reg never seize ..made by loctite corp
is good for something like 1900 deg C..and the marine grade  version  is rated
for something like 2900 deg C.
Then I find out the marine grade never seize is used in jet engine parts !

I have never seen the marine grade version..so don’t know if its copper based
or not.   I use the regular never seize
on SS bolts..etc..and also stuff like  lug nuts on my cars....... which makes
swapping tires real easy.  I also use it on regular
tower bolts etc.

Jim  VE7RF