Re: [TowerTalk] Common-mode choke

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Common-mode choke
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 09:58:12 -0700
On 5/20/2014 9:31 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
are you sure 5k ohms is required ??

See the tutorial. The higher choking Z provides better "worst case" noise suppression and greater power handling (because it reduces the worst case common mode current).

  Steve is showing 1100 ohms resistive for the worse case
scenario   where the coax is a half wave long.   1100 ohms  resistive would result in
–30 db shield current.

##  W8JI designed all the dx engineering baluns..and they all use type 61....go
figure.

I'm not designing " baluns," I'm designing common mode chokes. Tom's "baluns" aren't very good chokes -- I suspect that's why DXE also sells a "line isolator," which is probably a common mode choke. I haven't measured one.

73, Jim K9YC