Re: [TowerTalk] Common-mode choke

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Common-mode choke
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 08:02:03 -0700
On 5/20/2014 7:05 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
if any choke is high resistance, it will work..provide the Z is sky high.
Power is still I squared x R.

Yes. I have shown in my tutorial why choking Z on the order of 5K ohms resistive is a suitable design goal for most installations, and W8JI has reminded us of some where that's not enough. The only string of beads choke material that can get anywhere close to 5K on HF is the #73 material that W2DU chose, and you need several hundred of them to get there. You would need that higher value for the high power amps you like to use. The largest #73 material bead is just large enough to fit coax like RG303. There's a discussion of his choke in the two referenced pdfs.

73, Jim K9YC