Re: [TowerTalk] Common-mode choke

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Common-mode choke
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:08:17 -0700
On 5/19/14, 9:07 AM, Steve Hunt wrote:
That's right - to get meaningful results you need to understand the
stray capacitance added by the test structure.

Steve G3TXQ

On 19/05/2014 15:08, Jim Brown wrote:
I don't trust any impedance measurements of chokes wound on #61,
including my own, simply because the Q is so high. Even the slightest
stray capacitance moves the resonance, and it's the resonance that we
need.

___

Beyond that, if the thing is so sensitive to surrounding structures, how close is your measurement fixture to where it will actually be used? You might optimize performance for your fixture, and it's worse in the real installation.

I think the take home thing here is that when it's a "choke" you're looking for, then you want fairly broadband and lossy. If it's a "notch filter" you want, then resonance is fine. I would guess that most antenna applications are more the "broadband choke" than the "narrowband notch".