Re: [TowerTalk] Utility Pole as Beam Support

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Utility Pole as Beam Support
From: "Gary J - N5BAA" <qltfnish@omniglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 11:26:07 -0500

Get some of this U channel ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/6061-T6-Aluminum-Association-Channel-6-x-210-x-3-1-4-x-12-Long-6-Channel-/150937549859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2324943c23 ) and mount a 6 inch piece about 15 feet from the top of your pole. Another piece, usually a 3 or 4 inch piece of of narrower channel is mounted almost at the top of your pole to act as a securing point for the mast to keep it from being moved sideways. Get a 30 foot mast and drill holes in the bottom U channel piece and through the mast and insert a bolt to act as a lower hinge. Mount a pulley at the top of the pole that acts as a fair lead going from a winch on the opposite side from the pole to the mast. I use 30 foot poles planted 3-4 feet in the ground leaving 26-27 feet in the air. I mount a 30 foot mast 10 feet from the top, thus getting my antennas up approximately 46-47 feet above the ground. I mount a rotor if desired on top of the mast with a short mast stub going to the antenna. When I need to work on the antenna (or mount the rotator or a different antenna I can let off slack in the winch and the mast rotates towards the ground - usually to a ladder which keeps the end of the mast far enough off the ground so as to be able to comfortably work on the antenna/rotator.

Does anyone know of a source for surface mount pulleys that could be used on top of the pole without having to cut a channel down into the top of the pole???

Gary J
N5BAA