[TowerTalk] First Post

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] First Post
From: "Wilson" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 12:13:10 -0400
I see the poster is quite the accomplished ham.
Nevertheless, unless one just needs to make a statement it seems to me that 70’
is a fine tower height.
Look at the literature that explains beam performance as a function of height.
Taller is not always better.
50-70 foot crankups are very reasonable second hand and 70 foot guyed towers
are even more so.
When you consider that the crankup can be tilted for antenna maintenance, it
really looks good.
The cost of one bucket truck or climbing crew episode will likely more than pay
for the extra cost of the tower.
I’m looking at a good as new 55 foot crank/tilter for $1600, which may come
down because it isn’t selling.
I get good used Rohn 25 for $50 or so per section.  Much cheaper, but requires
climbing.

I can afford a Steppir, but putting complicated, expensive things way up in the
air simply looks like work and worry to me.
No one mentioned LPDAs.  A brand new T-10 is a small fraction of the cost of
the Steppir and covers many bands.
Even the new HD is well under $2K and has no moving parts.
If you want the bragging rights, the T-12 gives you a fraction of a dB and
costs only a “little” more.

What I can’t work with a T-10 at 55 feet I don’t need to work!

Wilson
W4BOH
A lazy old ham