Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting 2" Heavy Wall Cr-Mo Mast Up on Tower

To: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting 2" Heavy Wall Cr-Mo Mast Up on Tower
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 15:43:51 -0400
On 7/26/2014 Jim Hoge wrote:
...snip...
> If you really want to cut the mast, then a portable bandsaw is the
> way to go. I have done this before but I'm not sure I would
> recommend it.If the mast is cut in place, you will be effectively
> felling a tree with almost no safety buffer. You will be strapped in
> right next to the mast with nowhere to go should the mast fall the
> wrong way. If the mast is removed and strapped next to the tower and
> then cut, well, you may as well send the mast to the ground for cutting.

> 73 es be safe,
> Jim W5QM

THIS  exactly  -  As I said, tool of choice is a portable bandsaw, but
the  real  tool  of  choice  is  a  crane/gin pole and bring it to the
ground.

Lets  face  it,  to  be  safe  doing it up in the air, you have to gin
pole/rig  however  a  support to hold the section you are going to cut
off  above  (preferably  well  above)  the  balance  point of the part
getting  cut  off.  You do NOT want that section of mast free falling,
No way, No how

Of  course  there  is  the  other  option - just leave it as is, is it
really hurting anything?

--
Charlie
www.baysidephoto.com