Re: [TowerTalk] Securing a Rohn BPL45 Base Plate

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Securing a Rohn BPL45 Base Plate
From: Brian Amos <bamos1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 22:37:01 -0600
It all depends on the forces involved. As a general rule an anchor is good
at keeping something from sliding around but if the bolt/anchor system
could be subjected to pulling out you are better off with an epoxied bolt.
The anchor is only as strong as the concrete dust and friction holding it
in place. The epoxy is stronger than the concrete and forms a chemical
bond.  I am not familiar with that base though so if no tensile forces are
involved just compression and sliding then a good quality anchor should
suffice. And yes, use the same diameter and steel type that the
manufacturer recommends in order to have the correct shear strength in the
bolt..

Is this a guyed tower? If so tension (upward forces) between the tower base
and foundation are nearly non-existant. You only have to keep the base from
sliding out from under the tower. It is the freestanding towers that can
have the high tensile forces at the base.

Brian
KF7OVD

On Aug 7, 2014 8:36 PM, "Byron Tatum" <bjtatum1@att.net> wrote:

> Hello-
>    I plan to install a Rohn 45-G tower on an existing concrete base. (The
concrete base is actually larger than the base specified for my
planned height.)
>    I wanted to ask what would be an acceptable method of anchoring the
base plate? I know that for a newly-poured base you would install the 3/4"
x 12" pier pin. Would a strong 3/4" concrete anchor bolt be acceptable?