Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Black UHMW ?

To: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Black UHMW ?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 21:41:59 -0700
Good question. Static control UHMW has carbon black as a filler so it is probably a bad choice. Black virgin UHMW that I bought is FDA and USDA approved, so I think it is unlikely that the coloring agent will cause a problem. As an element insulator block or insert it should work fine since the voltage stress is low. However, note that it has a low creep resistance so don't use it as a boom plate.

It is easy to cut with saws, but I find it unpleasant for machining since it is so slippery, gummy, and springy. It's very hard to hold any close tolerances. Acetal/Delrin, ABS, and nylon are much easier to work with. A twist drill needs to have the edged stoned flat a bit or it augers in, badly on UHMW but also for brass and some other plastics.

Some white UHMW thrust+radial mast bearings for 3" mast came with some beams I purchased. After 7 years exposure they did show deep crazing but were still solid. That is why I am going with black.

There is always the stick it in the microwave and see how fast it melts test, although a bit of overkill for HF.

Grant KZ1W