Re: [TowerTalk] Trailer Hitch Electrical Connectors for Rotator Cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trailer Hitch Electrical Connectors for Rotator Cable
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 02:16:31 -0000
Thanks to all those who offered suggestions.

In my case, I want connectors that don't have wires already attached.  I
don't want to have to butt splice my existing rotator cable wires to wires
coming from the connector, I want to connect my rotator cable wires directly
to the connector.  Many of the commercial trailer hitch connectors have
pigtails.  Those that don't, don't seem to make clear how one does attach
the wires, e.g., crimp, solder, pressure fit, etc.  I found trying to
evaluate trailer hitch connectors on the Internet to be problematic.

KF7P suggested making a connector using Anderson Power Pole connectors.  I
think that's definitely worth a try.  I have a large stock of Anderson Power
Pole connectors with 15  to 45 amp capacity and the associated crimping
tool.  The basic Anderson Power Pole connector is not weatherproof, but I
think with a proper tape job it can be made weather resistant.  Best of all,
if it fails, it's a snap to cut off the old one, strip and recrimp new
contacts. And reinstall.  Easily done, even up on the tower without the need
of a butane soldering gun.

Will let the group know in a year or two how well this works.

Again, thanks to all for helping me make a decision about this.

73, Bob - W3YY