Re: [TowerTalk] Elements over or under

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elements over or under
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 06:14:56 -0500
For my homebrew monobanders, I use DX Engineering element insulators and
N0XX's DX Engineering insulators  which are designed to mount on top of
the boom, at least the 3" boom ones are because they are pitched to
compensate for element sag.  The 2" boom ones you can mount on either
side. I find it easy to assemble the antenna this way (especially the feed
mechanism) with the boom laying on saw horses. The downside is when you
install the antenna it will try to flip upside down. If you have a
preassembled boom truss or element trusses it will do this anyway
regardless of how you mount the elements. So you have to take some
precaution when rigging so that it cannot flip, which is easily done.

John KK9A