Re: [TowerTalk] short survey

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] short survey
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 06:32:25 -0500
I turned 71 a couple days ago. I am in the middle of a couple tower projects, one crank up and tilt over and one tilt over. I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower atop a barn. I fell off the barn in a "ladder accident" landing on a steel shipping container essentially uninjured.

I am building stairs to access the top of the 40 ft tower that has 4 inch tubular legs on 14 foot centers. A platform with safety rail will be built at the top where the legs are on 9 foot centers. (Tower was originally 100 ft.) The jury is still out regarding the tower to be installed at or near the top of this 40 foot tower. candidates include crank-ups, tilt-overs, and crank-up/tilt-overs.

I have climbed towers before and I can do it but it isn't my favorite thing. I weighed about 270 when I was climbing towers and am down to 212 as of this mornings weighing. I can climb OK now but am looking to the future and reduced capability. I am also putting up a 50 ft Rohn 25 with tilt base. I have no plans for climbing any tower but the one mentioned above with stairs and observation platform.

Don't let your ego get you hurt.

73,

Patrick NJ5G