Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:10:01 -0700
On Thu,8/28/2014 10:38 AM, David Jordan wrote:
I've had a 259B for many years and it works well and meets my expectation. If I wanted to spend $15,000 on an Anritsu analyser.

Nor do you need to. The VNWA, designed by DG8SAQ, a German EE prof, and built by a ham in the UK, is a small box of electronics that interfaces via USB to my laptop, is powered from the USB, and goes to 1.3 GHz. It's a vector network analyzer that also does TDR, by transforming a sweep, and works as spectrum analyzer. $700 to my door, with calibration loads.

As to build quality -- compare a Ten Tec two-3CX800A7 amp with a comparable MFJ product. The difference is night and day. One built in MS, the other in TN. The three Titans I own, all bought used, are still going strong 30+ years after they left the factory.

73, Jim K9YC