Re: [TowerTalk] More fun with ground plane modeling

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More fun with ground plane modeling
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:22:13 -0700

I don't think this is all that odd. If you think of an elevated ground plane (elevated high enough to minimize ground coupling effects) as a vertical dipole with the bottom portion splayed out (which is pretty much what it is functionally), then changing the ratio of vertical length to radial length is essentially the same as feeding a dipole off center to raise the feedpoint impedance. For the first three decades of my ham radio career I was limited to vertical antennas, and I used that effect all the time to get a resonant 50 ohm feed without additional networks.

Adding a second set of radials to get the two band capability you see is really nothing more than the equivalent of a fan dipole, and the only thing I would caution there is that in my experience there is enough interaction between elements of a fan dipole that it can be difficult to simply model it and have it come out dead on. I always had to do some significant tweaking of lengths and the direction of those tweaks (lengthen or shorten) never seemed completely intuitive to me.

You can also get some interesting combinations by using more than one vertical element with the verticals spread far enough apart to reduce their coupling ... again, similar to a fan dipole.

73,
Dave   AB7E