[TowerTalk] Nicked with lawn mower

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Nicked with lawn mower
From: Steve <steve65@suddenlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 21:23:05 -0400
Hi all,

I have some coax laying the grass whose luck ran out. Nicked it with the lawn mower. An oblong section of outer jacket about 2 inches in length sliced off. A few strands of the braid were cut, not very many though.

It is cable TV drop cable, direct burial, 75 ohm, gas injected foamed polyethylene dielectric, 0.27in OD, quad shield - aluminum braid - 60%/40%. Don't know what the 60%/40% means. I use it to connect a GPS antenna to my shop.

My first instinct was to seal the nick and continue to use the cable until/unless it proves problematic. So I sealed the damaged area of the outer jacket with coax seal -- the black, sticky stuff that comes on a roll and everyone says not to use for weatherproofing connectors.

Is coax seal an adequate method of sealing the damaged area?

Would heat shrink be better? One end of the cable has an F-male connector over which I might get a piece of appropriately sized heat shrink.

Or perhaps there is a better way I have not considered?

Thanks all.

Steve, K8JQ