Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:21:39 -0700
On Fri,9/12/2014 5:37 PM, N3AE wrote:
Ditto here. When I moved in, the service panel was just bonded to the inside cold water
copper water pipe. But I'm on a well. The water line going outside is PVC. Had to drive a
ground rod for the service entrance. Come to think of it, the ground wire in the cable
feeding the submerged well pump is grounded to the top of the galvanized steel well
casing... a 300 ft deep "ground rod." Now I'm wondering if I need to take that
outside bare #4 and run it around the house to the well casing too?

The main things I would make sure of with the well is that 1) there is no neutral to ground bond, 2) that ground is not used as a return for 120V load current (if there is a 120V load, it must be between phase and neutral), 3) that the green (ground) wire is carried to the well from the panel that feeds it, and 4) that green wire is bonded to well motors and any other well equipment.

73, Jim K9YC