Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:41:10 -0500
I know this may sound preposterous to some, but there is a lot of truth in
your statement.

I learned to climb from a friend, Ken, who only free climbs.  The first time
I climbed with him was really an experience I shall never forget.  We
installed my 150 foot Rohn 45, a section at a time, with help from a ground
crew and WB0W gin pole.  Everybody wore hard hats.  We had a pre-meeting to
make certain everyone knew what to do.

Ken and I wore climbing and tool belts.  He used leather belts in the past,
but changed to the modern plastics when the leather showed signs of rotting
over the years.  I asked why he does not use a climbing harness and he said
it slows him down too much and makes him tired, which can be dangerous.

Since that time I had a heart attack which resulted in one stent and a
triple bypass.  Four years later, after rehab and a regimen of running 13
miles three times a week, I free climbed to 40 feet (just above first guys)
with success.  However, I now have fear of falling, particularly when
climbing around ring rotors.  So, I now use two gorilla hooks to climb.  It
slows me down, resulting in less work done per climb, but I know I am safe.
I still do some climbing at age 72, but am considering hiring a professional
from now on.

Ken stopped climbing about 3 years ago when his wife turned ill and he
needed to spend more time with her.  She always worried about his climbing
activities.  Ken turned 81 last month.

I believe most climbing incidents resulting in death or injury are the
direct fault of the climber.  Some are confident and have complete control
and knowledge/experience to avoid situations which are dangerous.  To me,
these are the real climbers.  All others are learning, and would be better
off wearing a safety harness and honoring the 100 percent connected rule.

73, Keith NM5G