Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed + self supporting /2 ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed + self supporting /2 ??
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:42:14 -0400
On 10/16/2014 8:30 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I think that the concern (on towertalk) is that guying adds compression to
the tower legs.  All of the self supporting towers that I have seen have
stronger legs than equivalent guyed towers, at least towards the bottom.
While I would also recommend following the manufacture's design and I am
not an engineer, I do not see how adding guys especially toward the bottom
of a tower can make it weaker.

Side force applied to angle can reduce the vertical load required to cause it to buckle. Too many variables to say how much.

73

Roger (K8RI)