[TowerTalk] Difference in TailTwister and Ham 4 torque values

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Difference in TailTwister and Ham 4 torque values
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:46:27 -0700
I have a MA770, 70 ft telescoping mast with a Ham 4 rotator mounted at the
base. My problem, if I have any winds over, say 10 mph, the Ham 4 stalls
and will not rotate my Force 12 10m-17m multi element yagi, 24 ft boom, 7.2
st.. The lack of rotation has been getting worse over the past 6 months. I
did check the voltage at the control box across the starting cap. It seems
to be near 24 V. I have also pumped a lot of grease into the lower bearing
that supports the weight of the rotating mast.

My question, and I have searched, what is the difference in
starting/running torque between the Ham 4 and TailTwister? At the time the
MA770 was designed, the Ham 4 was the largest readily available rotator. I
do have a TailTwister that I could install, but I will have to modify the
mounting plate hole pattern. Is it worth the effort?

Any other ideas or comments?

Ray,
N6VR