Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Length

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Length
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:39:09 -0700
On 10/28/14, 2:15 PM, Mike Fahmie via TowerTalk wrote:
Some years back, I purchased a 500' reel of Belden 9913 and used a bit here and
there over the years.  Now I needed four 70' runs to the base of my tower but
didn't know how much 9913 remained on the reel.
My DVM can measure capacitance so I connected it to the free end of the reel
and measured 6300 pF.  Belden says that 9913 capacitance is 24.6 pF/ft so
dividing that into 6300 pF implied that I had 256 ft remaining.  That was
enough for three 70' runs but not enough for four,  oh well.
I cut three 70' lengths from the reel, 45' of cable remained.  (3 x 70) + 45 =
255.  That is just 1 ft less than what was predicted by the capacitance
measurement !!!  Isn't it nice when the numbers work out so well.  Will I rely
on that technique in the future?  Nope, gotta see it work out like that a few
more times first!

You could also measure the C after you cut the first 70 foot chunk. The measurement of the 70 foot chunk will be closer in C to the stuff on the reel, AND, it will be the actual C of YOUR particular lot of cable.

Pretty clever idea, though.

And basically about the same accuracy, I'd think, as the various TDR techniques. For TDR (or looking for integer half wavelengths as you sweep the frequency on an analyzer) you have to assume a particular propagation factor, and that's affected by L and C as well. L isn't strongly affected by the physical size of the conductor: more the physical length, but C sure is affected by the dielectric AND the spacing of the shield/center, which is where the manufacturing variations probably are.