Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:09:55 +0000
Jim,

Yes - I've measured the inductance using a low frequency meter "just for fun"; but that's what it was - "just for fun" - it tells you little about the high frequency CM impedance of a choke, for (at least) a couple of reasons:

1) The permeability of a ferrite core is frequency dependent and complex. Measuring inductance at a low frequency will probably give you a good handle on the "base" u' permeability, but tells you nothing about u' and u'' at HF/VHF

2) The effect of inter-winding capacitance will be negligible at 1kHz. But that capacitance becomes a very significant factor in a choke's impedance at higher frequencies, and it can't be easily deduced from the low frequency inductance measurement.

Steve G3TXQ