Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Terminate braid at top of tower...or not?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Terminate braid at top of tower...or not?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 01:24:39 -0400
On 11/2/2014 1:04 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 11/1/2014 6:01 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:
Using a metal box to contain your current choke is OK

I install the chokes as close to the antenna feed points as possible and ground the braid(s) at the top and bottom of the tower. Before they connect to the remote antenna switch. I use bulkhead connectors through 1" X 1/8" Aluminum angle through the one side of the angle The chokes have the coax and connectors waterproofed with flooded heat shrink, liquid electrical tape, and sealant tape where appropriate. The connectors and bulkhead connectors add so little loss under 30 MHz it's not worth worrying about. Grounded top and bottom of the tower and at the SPG where they go through Poly Phasers mounted on the grounded plate.

My chokes are pretty much open to the elements. I try to increase the cooling and do not worry about the elements. (note the 1/4" spacing) I've never noticed and effect from snow, rain, or ice. The wind moving the antenna shows more effect than the elements on the choke and that so tiny as to easily be neglected. I can read the SWR and other stats to 4 decimal places and only the last place moves much. Once on a great while I see the third place move . I agree with Jim. Actually I use his figures for building the chokes. They work very well. Feeding a half sloper on 160 at the top of the tower is a good test.

73

Roger (K8RI)

I disagree, because the box contains any heat produced in the choke, reducing the dissipation of that heat to the outside air, thus reducing the power handling of the choke.

The reason for bonding coax at top and bottom of a conventional tower has nothing to do with the shack, but rather is to keep the shield of the coax at the same potential as the tower, with the intent of reducing the likelihood of arcing between the coax shield and the tower in the event of lightning. In other words, it is to protect the coax.

73, Jim K9YC

Roger (K8RI)