Re: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 or 80 PVC Conduit Underground

To: "'Allen Brier N5XZ'" <n5xz@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 or 80 PVC Conduit Underground
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 07:02:29 -0500
The difference is that Schedule 80 is thicker and is able to withstand
higher pressures. Check your local building code to see if it's required for
buried conduit. It could be, or it could be required only if the conduit
carries high voltage cables (e.g., AC power.) Where I live, Schedule 80 is
always used for buried conduit runs, but that's probably because the frost
line goes down four feet and the conduit has to be buried at least that
deep. Could be a different story in your area.

The size of the conduit should be at least twice the diameter of the cables
you're going to run. Leave room for future expansion.

73, Dick WC1M

80