Re: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 or 80 PVC Conduit Underground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 or 80 PVC Conduit Underground
From: "Gary J - N5BAA" <qltfnish@omniglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:01:39 -0600
In the area I live in electricians recommend back filling the trenches with builders sand. It's not hard to do here as there is no such thing as a freeze level in our soil (water lines just covered with 3 inches of soil won't freeze) so the trenches aren't deep, but we have lots of rocks and I don't like refilling the trench with rocks - makes it too hard to dig a second time if needed - sand is easier.

What is the feeling about adding extra unused coax runs in the conduit for future whatevers?? Also, it has been recommended to me to use the Direct Bury coax even though it is going inside a conduit. It is self sealing against any possible cracks, pin point holes etc.

What do people think about running a length of direct bury 12 gauge romex electrical line with a plug on the shack end and a socket on the tower end inside the conduit. That way one can energize the extension cord when needed and have it de-energized at all other times.

Could one run the long 50 ft sections of 4 inch black drain line with a few holes drilled in the bottom to provide for drainage of condensate?? Or the 10 foot white pipe with the holes drilled in one side to ensure drainage.

Gary J
N5BAA

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick Greenlee