Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 07:03:41 -0600
Roger, Thanks for letting me stroll down memory lane with you. My dad had one of those blow torch soldering irons when I was growing up. Then along came the BIG electric irons with sufficient heat capacity in their large copper tip to do some serious soldering before cooling too much. I have one in good operating condition, not as robust as the early ones but substantial.

I graduated to soldering guns and the small pencil irons in the 60's. (First ham lisc 1962 KN5DBP)

Don, I have a couple butane fueled soldering irons of a size suited for GP wiring and can solder a coax connector. they are small, light, and make considerable heat. They were inexpensive when I got mine. Google on "butane soldering iron" and you will see that even Radio Shack sells them. Several available from Weller, Wall, Portasol, etc. in various kits or bare bones. I haven't used mine in hurricane winds but in a fair breeze with success. I did use two at one time for a more extreme than normal connection. Butane soldering tools are small, lightweight, and work better than most battery powered ones, especially if you have to do several connections as they don't fall off in performance like the battery powered ones do.

Butane fuel is widely available, sold for refueling butane cigarette lighters.

Patrick   NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT