[TowerTalk] Cordless Soldering Irons

To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cordless Soldering Irons
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 16:38:11 -0800
Ian,

Yes, I believe the name Scope was on the soldering unit I saw.

The unit, however, was not black, more an orange. It was about the size of an old Weller soldering gun and had the typical pistol grip handle. Since it had its own built in battery pack, it obviously was rechargeable. I saw easy work made up the tower soldering without cords or cables in the way. He had purchased the unit in Australia. I'll have to go off an do some serious searching re the 'Scope' unit. I'd like to be able to work as unencumbered as possible, and the tower is a long way from the house and AC. And I for one am not enamored with working around a steel tower and aluminum antennas at the end of a long power cord.

I was aware of the butane torch guns with the solder tip add-on but really wanted to stay away from them if possible because of the constant winds we have here on the coast (and other reasons). However, should this be the only viable/available way to go I agree it will do the job and it may be the way I will have to go.

An aside, I have great faith in the technology that has brought crimp connectors into commoner use. I just have greater faith in clean well soldered connections. If I lived in the desert like some, instead of here above the ocean, I might well consider this method. In the 11 years I've been here though, I have come to the conclusion that it is all but impossible to ensure that tape-wrapped connections can be fully waterproofed and will last forever like they used to when I was an "inlander". I am hoping that the use of lined heatshink and liquid sealant at the heatshink ends will be better than what I thought were well wrapped and sealed 'tape' coverings. We'll see.

An aside, I removed the BN-86 from my A3WS with which I was having SWR problems and took it apart. As all who are familiar with this piece of junk are aware, there are several large openings on the connector end. I found the enamel on the coil around the core corroded, and where the coil is (get this) SWAGED to the connector flange, the whole rivet was gone. The other issue I've had with these is attempting to tighten the shell and then get inside the overhanging plastic case surrounding the connector to seal it. Big fingers don't work here. I was also unable to save the poor spiders and other large insects which made their home inside as well!! Feel a little bad about this. I have decided to install a Balun Designs 1115t after careful review of user comments on available baluns. NO, I did not want to wind my own nor did I want a bunch of coax hanging up there, I'm old and lazy now after 60 years of hamming.

Sorry I brought this up on towertalk, but seemed appropriate since that is where it would be used.

I appreciate all the tips, suggestions and comments posted as well as links to brands that should be considered. Thanks folks.

Sorry I

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Ian White