Re: [TowerTalk] Cordless solder irons

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cordless solder irons
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 20:57:32 -0500
Now I may change my weekend plans of hauling a generator up the tower and
soldering ring terminals on all of my rotator cables :)

Of course Jim is correct regarding the minimal voltage loss in long
extension cords for small amperage devices. I have no problem soldering
using hundreds of feet of extension cord in the yard while on the ground. I
try to avoid soldering on the tower but sometimes it is necessary and it
definitely is more difficult. Sometimes it seems like the solder is very
close to flowing but it just won't. A larger soldering iron really helps. I
also have a small Weller Butane iron. I used it once to replace a terminal
connector and it worked OK on the tower however I doubt it would work on a
PL-259.

Nice to work you in Sweepstakes last weekend, Jim!

73,
John KK9A - W4AAA