Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cordless solder irons

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cordless solder irons
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:05:33 -0800
wrt marine crimps: I was watching the electrician wiring my sailboat solder connections after crimping and asked why, he said "In 5 years you will thank me." In offshore sailing virtually everything everywhere gets exposed to salt water and my experience is that plain crimps corrode and fail even with marine wire and lugs, so crimp plus solder is the way to go. It's also mentioned in the DavisRF white paper. Adding adhesive lined shrink tubing over the crimp also helps keeps water from wicking down stranded wire which is another failure mode. (or buy lugs with the tubing, but $$). So I solder after crimping any lugs exposed to the weather.

Grant KZ1W