[TowerTalk] Cordless solder irons

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cordless solder irons
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:21:49 -0800
Two pretty strong statements.

I'm sure the folks at the marine fleet electronics repair shops I've visited along the coast here in Orygun, who seem to be unaware that they are 'forbidden' to solder RF connections, would be interested in this information. I also observed the use of crimping RF connections is growing in some of the larger marine electronics shops, although for some it appears to still be a relatively new process. In a couple of the smaller shops I visited, soldering looked to still be the standard.

Don't know about anything about the aircraft electronics repair shop folks, out of my sphere of knowledge. But, I would suspect that the standards relative to RF connections in aircraft is more delineated for obvious safety reasons.

The folks who were involved in the sat system installation at my home used only crimping tools and methods, so crimping is obviously appears to be the 'standard' in this sector.

The Davis paper was well done IMHO and I thought presented a fair view of both methods pros and cons.

Before someone thinks I am anti-crimping, I agree crimping is a sound method done properly (like soldering). Were I doing a lot of RF connections I'd sure consider investing in the needed tools and new connectors. But I've only got one or two to deal with now and then and have lots of time and patience (and connectors). I've also 60 years ham and work experience in soldering typical UHF connectors, including N's - but admit I don't get it exactly right from time to time. Probably wouldn't with a crimping tool either!!

So, Roger and Bill, what are the industry, trade or government documents that you state require only crimping of RF connections in the aircraft and marine industry?????

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Bill Turner