Re: [TowerTalk] Single tower and 3 monoband yagis - "Christmas three"

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single tower and 3 monoband yagis - "Christmas three"
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 13:49:58 -0600
Can I step back and ask a bigger-picture question?

Given the short distance between top and bottom antennas, is there a benefit
to this kind of array vs. interlaced monobanders on a common boom?

In Fudo's case, perhaps he is using existing antennas and isn't in a
position to replace them with something such as a long-boom F12 antenna, but
in a from-scratch installation, is there any reason to move to the
mechanical challenges of stacking antennas like this so close together vs.
using just one antenna?

73, kelly
ve4xt

On 12/11/14 1:35 PM, "n8de@thepoint.net" <n8de@thepoint.net> wrote:

> I agree with Joe, W4TV, but, would add the comment:
>
> PUT THE 20M monobander on TOP of the stack .. that is .. invert it,
> with the 10m on the BOTTOM.
>
> 73
> Don
> N8DE
>

> Quoting "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>:
>

>> Unless the monobanders have been designed to operate in a stack
>> ("Christmas tree"), stacking them as closely as will be needed to
>> stay within your 5m mast will certainly reduce their performance.
>>
>> If the monobanders have been optimized to work in a stack, use the
>> spacing for which they were designed.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>> On 2014-12-11 9:16 AM, Fuad Arnautovic wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I need advice from some more experienced with stacking about possible setup.
>>>
>>> Have self-standing tower abt 18 mtr, mast 50 mm (2") 5-6 metres long
>>>
>>> Antennas are three monoband yagis as follows
>>>
>>> 20m 4el 9,5m boom
>>> 15m 5el 9,6m boom