Re: [TowerTalk] Nube rebar question

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kilo6dko@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nube rebar question
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 16:49:15 -0500
>  I have never worked with rebar or concrete but it seem  fairly strait
forward in building the cage and pouring the concrete. I have  read the the
rebar cannot be with in 3" of the dirt or it will rust and fall  apart. What
do you do in the bottom where the rebar sits on the dirt? Is this  just a
sacrificial bit?

    Nope, it still can not contact the soil. What  happens is the rebar
starts to rust from the ground moisture and exfoliate.  Eventually the rust
will migrate to all metal in contact with it and you wind up  with concrete
reinforced by rust.

    What I do is buy 4 or 5 one-foot square  concrete pavers and put them
under the rebar cage. I usually break them up  since you don't need much to
lift the rebar cage and that way you get more  pieces if you need them. And
sometimes you will.

Cheers & GL,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890--4188