Re: [TowerTalk] north

To: Gary - AB9M <glhuber@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] north
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 12:18:50 -0700
I don't understand all the naysaying here.

If we can get our rotators aligned with in 1 degree, 5 degrees, 1/2 a
degree accuracy, depending on our stamina and ability to understand the
procedure, we should.  If we don't care, we can take the consequences of
whatever error we accept.

It's a "one time cost" on the whole (not a lot of maintenance on this).
Moreover, you can lay it out in such as way as to have some sort of "line"
that preserves the effort, making maintenance even less of an issue.

No matter how wide the beam width of your antenna, a more accurate
north/south placement reduces the inevitable _added error_ of not having a
perfect N/S alignment of your system.  If you were off by, say, 20 degrees,
this added error would be obvious and it would be obvious that it is
additive to boot.  If you are off by 5 degrees, it is less obvious, but it
is still an error and it is still additional.

Larry WO7R