Re: [TowerTalk] Fast, cheap, and or good... Pick two.

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fast, cheap, and or good... Pick two.
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 19:30:56 -0700
I did a "proper" crankup with the tilt-over and the NN1NN tilt plate.  US
Tower heavy duty.  I'm quite happy with the results.  I can do everything
at ground level.  Because it is 72 feet, it was motorized, which jacked up
the cost.

However, it is the most expensive solution.  Including things like the
trenches to the tower from the shack and all the extras, you probably end
up spending 15,000 to 20,000 new.  Used towers are cheaper, but they don't
lower the total price all that much really.

A hexbeam at 45 feet on an old military grade pushup (see KY6R's solution)
may not be all that far behind in terms of effectiveness.  I didn't do it,
so I don't know.  It would be way cheaper.  Presumably, you could get it
up-and-down for maintenance at ground level.

Larry WO7R