Re: [TowerTalk] Practical Grounding at reasonable cost.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Practical Grounding at reasonable cost.
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:34:12 -0600

On 1/20/2015 2:46 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
The ones I have seen are formed by using a large cardboard tube as a form to cast the ground rod in concrete. (remove the form before planting the ground!) An auger digs a hole of the proper diameter to the proper depth and the encased rod is lowered into place. Not cheap, but very effective.

I don't get it. Why not augur the hole and place the rebar in it (with proper clearance from dirt contact) and pour concrete into the hole? Why complicate the process, adding the extra hassle and expense of the Sonatube. The hole in the ground is a "wash", needed either way but no heavy equipment needed to pick up the formed rebar filled concrete cylinder and you don't buy and destroy a big sonatube (cylindrical cardboard form typically used to extend a pier hole above grade and similar.) Also it is much easier to pour concrete into a hole in the ground than to fill a big sonatube.

Patrick   NJ5G