Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:27:03 -0500
On 1/20/2015 10:39 AM, Jim Lux wrote:

Around here the footings have to go below the frost line which IIRC is still officially 30 inches although its been years since it even made 12". The floor in my 30' by 40' shop is poured over 1" of Styrofoam, but it still has a large area exposed as the footings are roughly 30' long and 40' long by 18" wide by about 3' feet deep. Roughly 1050 sq ft of exposed concrete just from the footings.

BTW the surface area of a 3/4", 8' rod is 1.5 sq tt while the area of the 1' diameter concrete is a tad over 25 sq ft or the equivalent of almost 17 8' ground rods. The base pour for my guyed tower is 3' in dia X 5' deep with a surface area of 47..1 sq ft (area of sides) + 7 (area of bottom) = 54 sq ft or 36 8' 3/4 inch ground rods. If I made no mistakes.

When looked at in those numbers the extra ground rods take on a different significance. Also the concrete will slowly increase the soil conductivity around it.

73

Roger (K8RI)