[TowerTalk] Lightning. What is it?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning. What is it?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:21:27 -0500
I'll try to do this justice, but it is covered fairly well in a number of locations on the web with the Polyphaser site being one of the best.

Lightening is a discharge between two moving, charged areas: Cloud to cloud and cloud to ground.

In the case of cloud to ground we have two "moving" charged areas. The emphasis is on moving! Because the charged areas are of opposite polarity lightening is mistakenly thought of as a DC event.

They also vary in intensity from a few hundred to hundreds of thousands of Amps

1st the area on the ground is as dynamic as that in the clouds. It varies is size, shape, speed, intensity, and direction. This charge is not homogeneous varying from zero at the edges to a maximum at the center. Instead the intensity varies widely in Jouls over the entire area so the tower at or near the center could be at a low point, or even close to zero while areas all around it may be at much higher potentials leading the lightning to strike much shorter objects...

The charge is "in the ground", Towers, trees, buildings, power line, virtually any conductive object. Said object does not even have to be elevated, although elevated objects do present a closer target and are struck more often. But think for a minute. When a lightening bolt travels a mile or two, is it really going to have a lot of concern for a path a 100 feet shorter.

Lightening bolts are initiated by "feeders" coming down from the clouds and up from the ground. When these feeders connect a lightening stroke is initiated. This initial stroke may be cloud to ground, or ground to cloud. It will be followed by alternating strokes up and down. The rise and fall times determine the RF frequencies which "usually" center around 1 MHz.. What the strike hits may have as much to do with where the object is located in the ground field as it does the height. OTOH The odds favor the taller object getting struck..

The dynamics of a lightening stroke are complicated as is the development of the feeders. Anyone who has seen a lightening bolt realizes they do not follow a straight path. Lightening bolts contain tremendous currents. So much so that the bolt may be self quenching and as we see it flicker, it may follow different paths. I've seen large towers struck, with the bolt getting off part way down, The magnetic field becomes so strong that the lightening bolt seeks an easier path to ground.

Although the dynamics of the bolt may be complicated, they follow simple rules of physics and the parts, we as hams are interested in can be simplified to useful levels if we don't "over think" what's happening. There is no preventing lightening strikes. ALL we can do, is mitigate the effects of the lightening strike, direct hits and nearby strikes that can induce very high voltages in electrical wires. Give it a more conductive path to ground and use devices to short voltage pulses to ground and keep them out of our fragile and expensive equipment. The Franklin system including lightening rods, porcupines, and other devices just provide a path to ground that is more attractive to lightening than the structure.

Lightening protection systems, often called Franklin systems are named after Benjamin Franklin who is given credit for inventing the lightening rod although the use of lightening protection systems predates the "Franklin Lightening rod", by hundreds, or possibly thousands of years, but Ben is given credit for proving lightening is just a form of electricity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_rod

It's worth repeating: There are no devices that will prevent lightening strikes. We can only use good installation and grounding practices to mitigate damage from lightening strikes. We can build fairly effective systems, but none give 100% protection. The more effective the system the more expensive it become. Beyond a good system, building a more effective one rapidly approaches diminishing returns for the investment.

Roger (K8RI)

---