Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning. What is it?

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\) on TT'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning. What is it?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 22:42:08 -0600
Ground lightning is the equalization of charge between cloud and ground. It
happens all over the world many times a minute.

What mainly determines where lightning will strike are local conditions.
This includes wind, humidity air pressure etc. The charge from ground
objects are usually referred to as "streamers" that travel upward as charge
builds.
The charge from the clouds produces what are called "step leaders" which
travel downward in jagged steps of around 150' steps. The local conditions
have an effect on which way the next step goes. When the step gets close
enough to a streamer there is a connection and a strike path results in a
plasma trail that has very low impedance.

The 150' steps are where the "rolling ball theory" comes from. This gives
some idea of how lightning can strike the side of a tall tower rather than
the top as the step leader is jumping around at 150' intervals. If it is
near a tower the next "step" may be sideways rather than straight to the top
of the tower.

This is also where the "cone of protection" comes from. If this imaginary
"rolling ball" with a 150' (step leader is in 150' steps)radius is rolled up
so that it touches a tower it will show that everything below that point of
contact goes out away from the tower at curved angle of the circumference of
the ball.
The area from that point on the tower to the point where the ball touches
the ground is said to be within the "cone of protection".
In other words lightning will most likely hit at the 150' point or higher
and objects within the "cone" are less likely to be struck.

This theory also says that any tower over 150' can be hit at any point above
the 150' point and not necessarily at the top.

Once there is a strike and current comes down the tower it needs to go to
earth. The ground system needs to be spread out (radials) to allow the
charge to rapidly be absorbed. There is propagation time delay in the earth
just like a transmission line has delay.
If you try to dump all of the charge into a single spot the earth can not
absorb it as fast as it is coming in and voltage will become high at that
point. If there are multiple paths for the charge to travel in the earth it
will be dissipated without as large of a charge build up at the entry point.

This is one reason why ground rods and radials should supplement a Ufer
ground.

73
Gary  K4FMX