Re: [TowerTalk] welding aluminum

To: Bob Tabke <bob@onehorsecreek.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] welding aluminum
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:22:53 -0500
Hi Bob,

Welding something like 6061-T6 will reduce the temper in the Heat Affected
Zone to T0 effectively. Over time - and I've never researched to find out
the time scales involved, but I think it's days to weeks - the HAZ is said
recover to about T4. If the parts are small, you might be able to re-heat
treat them, as the temps involved are much lower than that required for
steel.

You might also look at designing the joint with inserts or sleeving, so
that it can become a mechanical (bolted or clamped) joint.

Have fun!

73,

geo - n4ua